I spent some time last night quilting the first Scrappy Stars Quilt. There is a second Scrappy Stars Quilt in the works but it is made with black stars and scrappy centers. This bright colored one has been in the works for a long time. You may remember seeing it a year or so ago on the old site. The top has been finished and the quilt has been layered and waiting for me to quilt it for about a year.

I don’t know why the quilting is such a bottleneck for me…but it seems like there is always a bottleneck at the quilting part…even though I like free motion quilting once I get started on it.

I decided to try something different in the quilting this time after having watched a YouTube video on free motion quilting. Usually when I quilt I start on the middle vertical row and I quilt from bottom to top of the quilt in that row. The YouTube video I watched suggested dividing the quilt in quarters and quilting it a quarter at a time. I don’t see a lot of difference one way or the other, really, though I suppose maybe I am less vertical with the quilting since I am  not working so much vertically.

For this quilt I’m using an all over stipple with yellow thread top and bottom. I find the stippling really adds to the durability quotient, which is important with donation quilts that may end up being used heavily and laundered frequently.

As is always the case when I am quilting, Patch was on hand to lend a hand (paw).

Here’s a picture of the whole quilt. The kitty on the quilt is Callie Kitten. She’s one of our more feral kitties, one of two that I still can’t touch though she does relate more to me all the time.

Here’s a close up of the quilting that I’ve finished so far.

2016-07-22 23.10.24

I’ve finished quilting about half the quilt. Soon it will be onto binding and I’ll get to try out the binding maker and binding foot that I purchased awhile back and haven’t had a chance to use yet.


No Comments