Though I haven’t mentioned it here on the blog, I have been busy working on this pieced back which goes to the Bright Happy Go Lucky Quilt that I blogged about a while back.
Shipping days–those days when I pack up items that I’ve worked on for weeks or months and ship them to the organizations that will distribute them to their eventual recipients is always a special day. It’s a little bit like the days leading up to Christmas when I shop or finish up projects and wrap them and stick them under the tree while my mind pulses with images of the recipients enjoying the gifts.
A while back JoAnn Fabrics had fleece on sale for $2.99 a yard. Since we’ve had these unsightly, old, nearly worn through cat window seat covers that I’d been promising to replace with new ones – for years – I decided to purchase a couple of yards of jungle print fleece and make the cats some new window seat covers. As you can see from the picture, Oz really approved of my fabric choice.
Making hats for the homeless and for the people of Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is something I do year-round, though this year I’ve crocheted more baby blankets and made fewer hats. Last year all of my hats were crocheted the old fashioned way, with a crochet hook and yarn. This year I’ve taken up loom knitting and have really enjoyed making hats on the loom. I find loom knitting very relaxing, easy to learn, and a nice lap-sized project for TV time.
I really like the soft floral fabric that is the focus fabric for these quilt blocks. It’s one of those pieces of fabric that I purchased because I really loved it…but it took me years to find the right pattern and the right accompanying fabrics to motivate me to cut into it. I think it pairs well with the pink and lavender borders and the aqua and yellow star points.
I’ve been working on a new quilt! This one is BRIGHT! But bright is okay! I LIKE bright. I think there’s a little girl out there in the world somewhere that will like bright too. This will be a donation quilt though I’m not sure where I will ultimately donate it.
Nothing goes to waste in my sewing studio and both the cats and I are happy about that.
When I first heard about making cat beds out of scraps of fabric and batting I wondered how they would launder. I’m happy to report that mine launder very well.
You might notice a new model in a lot of the pictures of projects coming up. For a long time Patch (the one-eyed, flame point kitty in some of the pictures on the blog) was the predominant kitty model around here. He still models with a lot of projects as he loves fabric of any type and it is hard to take a picture of a quilt or other project without him being in it. But recently Callie Kitten and Ozzie have been giving him a run for his money. There’s a lot of competition for kitty modeling gigs these days. In any case, this is Ozzie. He’s “helping” me add the fringe to this blanket.
I actually finished this little top a couple of weeks ago but have been scrambling and hadn’t had a chance to blog about it. It’s made from the same See & Sew (Butterick) pattern (B5442) that I used to make the first little girl’s top that I made with this pattern. The part I found most difficult (and it isn’t that difficult) about this pattern was gathering the ruffle at the bottom. But then I bumped into a video on YouTube (one of my favorite places on the web for learning new things). The video showed a nifty new (to me anyway) product that you can use to quickly create ruffles and gathers.
I have about a bajillion of these Frugal Blocks from Quilter’s Cache. The Frugal Block is one of my favorite quilt blocks because it lends itself so well to chain piecing. It’s also a project that lends itself well to small bursts of time. I seem to have more small bursts of time than large expanses of time, so as a consequence, I have a bunch of these blocks…like hundreds of them…enough to make a king sized quilt with a bunch left over. But what really, really, scares me is the idea of quilting a king sized quilt or the expense of having one long arm quilted for me.
One of the online charity crafting groups that I belong to, Sew For Kids Volunteers, has projects that they work on throughout the year. Members of the group are free to participate in the group projects or to make other things. I tend to skip around and do a lot of my own thing because for the most part I consider myself more of a quilter than seamstress, crocheter, or loom knitter…though since joining Sew For Kids Volunteers I’ve branched out from quilting into all of these other areas and am beginning to see myself more as an all around maker of things.
Anyway, the current project at Sew For Kids Volunteers is to make summer clothes for the children at Pine Ridge. I’m not much of a seamstress, but a while back I did sew some doll clothes that turned out pretty well. I figured if I could make doll clothes, then surely I could make people clothes too….